The History of W. Hare & Son, Inc.
In 1847, Wesley Hare opened a shop in Noblesville making and selling wagons. Over time Wesley’s business, Carriage and Wagon Works, grew to be one of the largest wagon and carriage making companies of the Midwest. Wesley continued to work under the business name Carriage and Wagon Works until his sons Elbert and Silas joined him, the company then became W. Hare & Son, Inc. The family business continued to thrive and grow, so much that in 1900 the building was torn down and replaced with a four-story, brick building. This building currently sits in downtown Noblesville at the corner of Conner and 10th Street. It is currently the Huntington Bank Building. Between 1909 and 1915 Elbert’s sons, Frank, Albert and Willard, became the 3rd generation of Hares to join the business.
In 1912 early models of Cadillac, Hump mobiles, Overland, and Studebaker were among the first vehicles to be added to the business. W. Hare and Son added Chevrolets to the line in 1930’S. The 4th generation of ownership came about after Willard’s only son John (Jack) Hare joined the company. Jack married and had three daughters. In 1948 the business outgrew their location once more. The decision was made to move Trucks and Used car sales to 1700 S. 10th Street in Noblesville. All of Hare’s operations moved to this location in 1958. David L. Cox started working for Jack in 1966 as a parts runner and became Jack’s son-in-law in 1969 after marrying Jacqueline Hare. David became a Dealer/Operator in 1992 and then was named Owner/Operator in 1996 after the death of his father-in-law. David and Jackie became the 5th generation to own and operate the business.
In 1999, W. Hare & Son, Inc had yet again outgrown their location and moved to their present location on State Road 37 in Noblesville. The business is now being run by the 6th generation of Hares; Courtney (Cox) Cole and Monica (Cox) Peck, daughters of David and Jackie (Hare) Cox. David, Jackie, Courtney, and Monica, are dedicated to donating their time and sponsorship to the community. At the start of the 2006 Noblesville High School football season, the newly renovated football field and athletic complex recognized major donors. David and Jackie were given an honorable recognition for their substantial contribution personally and through Hare Chevrolet. Today the field is known as the Hare Chevrolet Field.
W. Hare & Son, Inc (Hare Chevrolet) is proud to still be a family-owned and operated dealership. Maintaining customer service and satisfaction as the TOP priority has allowed the company to thrive. Hare Chevrolet has been in business for over 160 years, giving them the title of the “Nations Oldest Transportation Company”!
Hare Chevrolet receives Nation's Premier Chevrolet Dealer award
Hare Chevrolet, of the Indianapolis area, has been selected as the only Chevrolet dealer in Indiana to receive the prestigious Nations Premier Chevrolet Dealer Award.
Nations Premier extensively surveys dealerships throughout North America to determine if they are fit and eligible. These best-of-the-best dealers are located within specific trade markets in each country and must exceed top performance standards in automotive retailing, automotive service, automotive finance and customer satisfaction. Only 20 Chevrolet dealers in the entire United States are named to receive this exclusive status.
"It's a huge honor to receive this award, and really it's a reflection of the great people we have working here," said Courtney Cole, vice president of Hare Chevrolet. "It's an award for them and for our customers because they are what make this place so special."
The Nations Premier Chevrolet Dealers Award Program is an initiative designed to assist consumers in both the United States and Canada. Only qualified dealers are licensed to use the recognizable Nations Premier Chevrolet Dealer logo indicating their excellence in operational standards. Hare Chevy is honored and continues to work hard for their customers and community.